- You will participate in a face-to-face workshop between Monday and Thursday.
- You will be required to complete some online assessments following which you will be provided a Certificate of Completion in Refresher Training for the particular workshop you have attended.
- To obtain the units of competency, you will be required to undertake written assessments, workplace projects/case studies and a workplace logbook with First Class Mine Manager.
- Upon successful completion of all assessments, you will be issued with a Statement of Attainment from Simtars (RTO 45647) for the units successfully completed.
Phil Reed of Reed Mining Consultants Pty Ltd
Trainer Assessor details
To enrol in this course, you must:
- Have a minimum of 3 years of recent operational experience at an underground coal mine.
- Be currently employed in an Australian underground coal mine or by a mining contractor and have access to an underground mine and its safety and health management system (to undertake assessment), and a First Class Mine Manager at the mine (to verify your workplace log book).
- Demonstrate that you are at or exceed level 5 in foundation skills (see below).
- Meet the following minimum age requirements:
- If you work in a mine in Queensland: minimum 18 years of age
- If you work in a mine in the Northern Territory: minimum 19 years of age
- If you work in a mine in Tasmania: minimum 19 years of age
- if you work in a mine in New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia, or Victoria: minimum 20 years of age
- It is highly recommended that you are proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook prior to enrolment. If you require an upgrade to your computer skills, we recommend using the free online tutorials available from Microsoft or attending a short course. These courses are not provided by Simtars.
- Preferably hold a Deputy's Ticket or higher
Foundation skill requirements
- To study in this course, you will be required to have core skills at level 5, or the ability to reach level 5 with support, on the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF). Simtars has a BKSB eLearning solution to assess Language, Literacy, Numeracy (LLN) and foundation skills. This LLN is offered prior to enrolment, as you may decide to progress to completion of the assessments to gain a Statement of Attainment for that particular unit of competency.
- Prior to enrolment you will be sent an email with a link to BKSB to complete the LLN initial assessment. If you do not reach the required foundation level, the BKSB tool can provide tutorials to help you reach the required foundation skill level. For more information about Foundation Skills, see the ‘Choosing your Course’ section in our Learner Handbook.
To study in this course, you must provide the following materials and equipment:
Materials and equipment required
- A laptop with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook account set up for emails
- Access to the current Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999 (Qld)
- Access to the current Coal Mining Safety and Health Regulation 2017 (Qld)
- Access to current recognised Standards (Coal Mines)
- Access to your mine’s SHMS documents including PHMPs, SOPs, Procedures, Standards, TARPs, etc.
- A USB stick minimum (8GB)
- Access to Wi-Fi
- A notebook and pen
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- You can apply for RPL for each of the units of competency in this qualification. You will need to supply information on your work history and samples of work and may need to undertake assessments and/or an interview to determine whether you have met the competency standards.
- RPL is assessed on a case-by-case basis. You can read more about RPL in our Learner Handbook or contact us to discuss your RPL options.
Complete the Application for Enrolment form online by going to the link: Apply Now
Apply for enrolment - How to Apply
Phone: 61 (07)3810 6328
- You will receive a confirmation email with the Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment or BKSB, complete it asap.
- Once complete, your application will be reviewed and a letter of offer will be sent to you, should you qualify.
- You must sign the letter of offer and return to the designated email address.
- You will then be invoiced for your course.
- Fees are payable prior to the workshop start date.
- Your application will be reviewed by Simtars prior to you being offered a place in the course. For more details, please read our Learner Handbook.
- $1900 per workshop
- For quotations, payment options, and company group bookings please contact Simtars.
- Payment is required prior to all workshops.
- Where a learner misses a workshop or part of a workshop, Simtars will attempt to place this learner into other courses being conducted. If this is not possible, learners will be required to attend a workshop at the end of the course to undertake the work they have missed. This will incur an additional cost for the supplementary workshop, plus venue and trainer accommodation costs.
- Fees include costs of flights for the trainer, car hire/transfer costs for the trainer, all course material and pre-course readings during each workshop.
- Learner accommodation and food are not provided or included in course fees.
- Government funding or subsidies are currently not available.
We offer the following payment methods for this course:
For more information about payment methods and payment terms, see the ‘Fees and Refunds’ section of the Learner Handbook. For further information or to organise payment for your training, please contact Simtars on (07) 3810 6328 or email email@example.com
- Credit card
- Purchase order (for approved companies only)
- Payments can be made in instalments. Please contact Simtars for details.
- Upon successful attendance of all 4 days and any required assessments, you will be provided with a Certificate of Completion
- Should you wish to be issued with a Statement of Attainment from Simtars (RTO 45647) then you will need to complete additional assessments and pay the nominated fees.