- You will participate in 2 days of face-to-face training and assessment with the trainer. This includes practical demonstrations, videos, PowerPoint presentations.
- You will be provided with readings which can be read as a refresher for your knowledge post-training, to support your understanding of the course material.
- You will be required to undertake practical and written assessments during this course.
Trainer Assessor details
Simtars or Third Party Trainer Assessor
To enrol in this course, you must:
- Be currently employed in an Australian underground coal mine or by a mining contractor and have access to an underground mine and its safety and health management system (to undertake assessment), with some relevant experience in the recognition of stonedust failures, application of stonedust and collection of stone dust samples and analysis.
- Demonstrate that you are at or exceed level 2 in foundation skills (see below).
- Meet the following minimum age requirements:
- If you work in a mine in Queensland: minimum 18 years of age
- If you work in a mine in the Northern Territory: minimum 19 years of age
- If you work in a mine in Tasmania: minimum 19 years of age
- if you work in a mine in New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia, or Victoria: minimum 20 years of age
Foundation skill requirements
- To study in this course, you will be required to have core skills at level 2, or the ability to reach level 2 with support, on the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF). Simtars has included questions in the Enrolment form at level 2, to assess Language, Literacy, Numeracy (LLN) and foundation skills.
- If you do not reach the required foundation level, the trainer can refer you to materials to help you reach the required foundation skill level. For more information about Foundation Skills, see the ‘Choosing your Course’ section in our Learner Handbook.
Materials and equipment required
To study in this course, you must provide the following materials and equipment:
- Access to PPE onsite
- Access to the current Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999 (Qld)
- Access to the current Coal Mining Safety and Health Regulation 2017 (Qld)
- Access to your mine’s SHMS documents including PHMPs, SOPs, Procedures, Standards, TARPs, etc.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- You can apply for RPL for each of the units of competency in this qualification. You will need to supply information on your work history and samples of work and may need to undertake assessments and/or an interview to determine whether you have met the competency standards.
- RPL is assessed on a case-by-case basis. You can read more about RPL in our Learner Handbook or contact us to discuss your RPL options.
Apply for enrolment - How to Apply
Complete the Application for Enrolment form online by going to the link: Apply Now
Phone: 61 (07) 3810 6328
- You will receive a confirmation email with the Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment, complete it asap.
- Once complete, your application will be reviewed and a letter of offer will be sent to you, should you qualify.
- You must sign the letter of offer and return to the designated email address.
- You will then be invoiced for your course.
- Fees are payable prior to the workshop start date.
- Your application will be reviewed by Simtars prior to you being offered a place in the course. For more details, please read our Learner Handbook.
- For quotations, payment options and company group bookings please contact Simtars.
- Payment is required prior to all workshops.
- Where a learner misses a workshop or part of a workshop, Simtars will attempt to place this learner into other courses being conducted. If this is not possible, learners will be required to attend a workshop at the end of the course to undertake the work they have missed. This will incur an additional cost for the supplementary workshop, plus venue and trainer accommodation costs.
- Fees include costs of flights for the trainer, car hire/transfer costs for the trainer, all course material and pre-course readings during each workshop.
- Learner accommodation and food are not provided or included in course fees.
- Government funding or subsidies are currently not available.
We offer the following payment methods for this course:
For more information about payment methods and payment terms, see the ‘Fees and Refunds’ section of the Learner Handbook. For further information or to organise payment for your training, please contact Simtars on (07 3810 6328 or email email@example.com
- Credit card
- Purchase order (for approved companies only)
- Payments can be made in instalments. Please contact Simtars for details.
- Upon successful attendance and completion of all assessments and credit transfers, you will be issued with a Statement of Attainment from Simtars (RTO 45647) for the unit successfully completed.